Three Ways To Style A Horizontal Striped Shirt

Photography: Karen Stauffer Photography

threewaystostyleastripedshirt I’m sure you are all needing some extra help with styling your striped shirts this fall, because lets face it; horizontal stripes are not very flattering. They somehow make you look wider than you actually are and never look good with what you are pairing them with. I am heard to tell you- if you have that problem, you are wearing them wrong.

You have to work the shirt. Don’t let the shirt work you. I have ‘Three Ways to Style a Horizontal Striped Shirt’, that you are going to love. First step of advice is: don’t style with a belt. threewaystostyleastripedshirt7

#1. Don’t Style with a Belt.

Here is why, belts always make people look a little wider around the mid-section because they do provide extra support around the waist, and do add some bulk.  I like when my shirt can lie flat down over my jeans which gives it a nice, even look. I used to love wearing belts with my jeans, but I am not much of a belt person anymore because I feel belts do add more my hips. If you are a lover of belts, I would say a fabulous way to style your horizontal striped shirt would be to tuck it in. If I wear a belt at all around my hips I will always have my shirt tucked in. Tucking in your shirt looks casual and cute and it honestly looks more clean-cut. threewaystostyleastripedshirt6 threewaystostyleastripedshirt4

#2. Dress it up.

Stripes always look good dressed up. Even though I am in more of a casual look then a dressy look, I love styling my striped shirts with skirts, which can be very cute for the work place. I love tutu skirts and pencil skirts with striped shirts. Something about it makes me think fashion forward and super chic. I also love that skirts can cinch in your waist and really show off your figure while remaining appropriate and professional in the work place.

threewaystostyleastripedshirt3   threewaystostyleastripedshirt1

#3. Wear a Heel or a Wedge

When it comes to being tall, I have to add a heel or wedge to get my height.  I also know that when you add height it makes you look leaner (especially the calves).  It gives the calves just the right amount of length and turns them into something fabulous and sexy. Every muscle just seems to appear and gives your calf just that right definition. So when wearing horizontal stripes I think adding a heel or wedge too looks great, because it adds length, and adding length can add definition.

threewaystostyleastripedshirt0 threewaystostyleastripedshirt5

nfobuttonsSTL copy

I am also in LOVE with my Tignanello purse. They have the cutest styles and colors that you will love. You can find Tignanello at many retails and some of these retailers maybe close to you. I couldn’t have chosen a more perfect color for the fall months. My Classic Boho Saddle Bag is this beautiful blue color called juniper and has so many compartments. I love how spacious it is and I feel like I can keep so much organized in this one little purse with an adjustable strap.

nfobuttonsGOLD

threewaystostyleastripedshirt12

September 23, 2016
September 30, 2016

Rach

September 26, 2016

I have an obsession with wearing stripes and you hit all the key points on styling one! I don’t think I have that color of striped top yet. Looks like I will change that 🙂

September 26, 2016

Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed this post. I am loving this burgundy color so much.

Monika

September 26, 2016

I really like how you have styled the horizontal stripes. Minimal yet stylish! Hope your move went smooth and you are settling in comfortably <3 Have a wonderful week!

Monika | http://www.palateforstyle.com

September 26, 2016

Thank you, Monika. The move has went well and so has the first day of work at my new job. All new exciting this and I am loving it all.

September 26, 2016

All great tips Kierra! I tend to shy away from horizontal stripes because I’m not crazy about how I look in them.Lol! However, I like your idea of dressing it up and it’s something I will have to try in the future. Hope your first day at the new job is going well!

September 26, 2016

Totally! I used to too but if you study how your body really looks in it a play with different accessories, show, ect. You pretty much know it will be the same for everyone.

Veena

September 26, 2016

Totally agree with all the 3 tips. I love pairing my stripe tee with a skirt and jeans. Have a great week.

Xoxo,
    Veena

September 26, 2016

I can totally see it, Veena. I love all your outfit combos and I have scene a few with these items in it.

Diana

September 27, 2016

this is great! one of my fab the stripes shirt! 😉

September 27, 2016

Thank you, Diana. I hope you enjoyed the points and advice. Have a wonderful day.

Laura

September 27, 2016

Great tips Kierra,
    I really enjoyed reading this post!

Xx
    Laura | http://www.twentyteenz.com

September 27, 2016

Thanks, Laura. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Itzy

September 27, 2016

I love that purse! Horizontal tops are so hard for me to wear but definitely going to consider your tips. Thanks!

Xo,
    Itzy

September 29, 2016

Happy you enjoyed them Itzy. I know there are many more tips to share but I only wanted to share a few. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Isabel

September 27, 2016

Love your styling tips and how you styled this top!

XX
    isabel

September 29, 2016

You are too sweet, Isabel. Thank you. I am happy you enjoyed the tips.

Lauren

September 27, 2016

Love the stripes and that blue bag is amazing!!

xx
    Lauren

September 29, 2016

I love it, Lauren. There are so many compartments in this thing lol.

Daniel

September 28, 2016

Great look! x

Daniel x

The Daniel Originals | Instagram: danielpoonvignez

New Post: Cuteness Overload

September 29, 2016

Thank you, Daniel. I hope I helped you out.

Tanvi

September 28, 2016

Loved your tips! I agree with you that stripes become boring when they are not worn right! But your tips are great <3

September 29, 2016

Tanvi, thank you girly! I am happy you enjoyed the tips. There are many more that could have been written, but I kept it simple and wanted to focus more on the casual look.

Alli

September 28, 2016

I love a stripe!!!

September 29, 2016

Of course, Alli. Have a great day and keep rocking that style of yours.

Mariann Yip

September 28, 2016

Such a cute outfit, I love stripes!

September 29, 2016

You just have to pair them with the perfect pant or skirt and you are good to go.

September 28, 2016

What a great casual look that isn’t over the top casual…cough cough…sweatpants!

September 29, 2016

Lol I used to love wearing sweatpants in college. Campus was always so cold so I just wanted to be warm. But this look is simple and cute.

MJ Obazuaye

September 29, 2016

Great suggestions and styling, I love the look. Stripes are always very dressy no matter how you wear them. Thanks for sharing the look. And you are gorgeous.
    Cheers.

September 29, 2016

Thank you! I felt it was a fun and little educating post.

September 29, 2016

You look great as usual. I am a huge fan of stripes and I love that bag!

September 29, 2016

I want to start wearing stripes more. I just feel they are so much fun.

dinah

September 29, 2016

I agree about the belt. They are so bulky!
    Whenever i rock them i always have a body on. This lazy one cant be bothered to even tuck in her shirt. Le struggle. Haha. Loved the tips! I think im going to try my striped shirt with a pleated skirt next.

September 29, 2016

So happy you agree about the belt, they are just so bulky. Yes and please let me know when you get that combo together.

September 30, 2016

Adore the styling tips, they are incredibly helpful. I also love the color wash of the jeans with this red, and turquoise purse. They just flatter each other so well, and photograph beautifully!

October 2, 2016

Why thank you, Michelle. I am happy you found them helpful.

Tabitha

September 30, 2016

Striped shirts are my go to for the day to day! You look fab and your hair is amazing!

October 2, 2016

Well that is great for the closet. Thank you for your nice comment.

September 30, 2016

Love stripes, love your outfit, love your tips!!

October 2, 2016

Thank you, Jo-Anne. I hope that were helpful and I also hope you have a great rest of your weekend.

Mayra

October 1, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing these useful tips! Love the contrast of the nude heel, denim and stripped shirt

October 2, 2016

I am so happy you found them helpful. There are many other things that could of been added but I wanted to keep it short.

October 1, 2016

I love the looks! I remember back in the DAT when wearing horizontal stripes was taboo! We were told they make us look fat! But the right strike and top is all you need to make it work!

October 2, 2016

Yes, Shasie. So true.

Sheena

October 4, 2016

I never thought about all that with striped shirts and I was avoiding them to not look fatter but since I read this and see how amazing you look, I may have to rethink how I approach striped shirts. Thank you for giving me some new ideas while looking awesome too.

October 4, 2016

Oh you are so welcome. Happy you found this so helpful. I hope you are doing well.

My

October 16, 2016

These are great tips!! Enjoyed this post so much!

October 17, 2016

Thanks girly! I hope stop back for more post soon.